THE ANNEX

The Annex is an affluent neighbourhood in downtown Toronto with a predominantly english speaking resident base strongly composed of business people, prominent artists & University of Toronto faculty and students.
Annex Boundary Map

The traditional boundaries of the neighbourhood are north to Dupont Street, south to Bloor Street, west to Bathurst Street and east to Avenue Road. The City of Toronto recognizes a broader neighbourhood definition that includes the adjacent Seaton Village and Yorkville area.

The Annex is mainly residential, with tree-lined one-way streets made up of Victorian and Edwardian homes and mansions, most built between 1880 and the early 1900s. The 1950s and 1960s saw the replacement of some homes and mansions with mid-rise and a handful of high-rise apartment buildings in the International style. These were surrounded with landscaped green spaces in an attempt to better fit into the neighbourhood. Because of its proximity to the university, the Annex has a high rate of seasonal tenant turnover, and its residents range from university students to older long-time residents.

The stretch of Bloor Street between St. George and Bathurst is a vibrant social and mixed-use area, offering Toronto a wide range of services from moderate-priced dining to independent discount retailers, in buildings which often include residential space in upper floors. Just west of the Annex proper, between Bathurst and Christie, street signs on that stretch of Bloor call it Koreatown, although the neighbourhood north of Bloor Street is usually called Seaton Village or the "West Annex". During the 1950s and 1960s, an influx of Hungarian immigrants moved into the neighbourhood after the 1956 Hungarian Revolution was suppressed, and some of the businesses and properties along Bloor may still be owned by Hungarian-Canadian families.
Annex style house
The Robert Brown House, an Annex style house owned by the University of Toronto
The Annex is home to many examples of a uniquely Torontonian style of house that was popular among the city's elite in the late nineteenth century. Examples of this style survive in the former upper class areas along Jarvis and Sherbourne Street and also within the University of Toronto campus. Most of these buildings are found in the Annex, and the style is thus known by some as the 'Annex style house.'
The Annex style house borrows elements from both the American Richardson Romanesque and the British Queen Anne Style. Annex style houses typically feature large rounded Romanesque arches along with Queen Anne style decorative items such as turrets. Attics are emphasized in the exterior architecture. The houses are most often made of brick, though some also incorporate Credit Valley sandstone. Built for many of the city's wealthiest citizens, the houses are also large. As the wealthy moved away from the neighbourhood, many of the houses were thus subdivided into apartments.
Much of the area's retail, restaurant and entertainment venues are aimed at the university student demographic - young, educated, telecommunications-connected, non-driving.
History
In the 1790s surveyors laid out York Township. The area east of Brunswick Avenue became part of the village of Yorkville, while the region west of Brunswick was part of Seaton Village. In 1883, Yorkville agreed to annexation with the City of Toronto. In 1886, Simeon Janes, a developer, created a subdivision which he called the Toronto Annex. The Annex area became part of Toronto in 1887 and Seaton Village joined Toronto in 1888.
First residents of the area included Timothy Eaton, patriarch of the Eatons Department Store, and George Gooderham, president of Gooderham & Worts Distillery. The Annex's first Golden Era lasted until the early 1900s, when the upper classes began to migrate northward above the Davenport escarpment to newer more fashionable suburbs in Forest Hill and Lawrence Park
Notable residents
Admiral Road in the Annex is home to the Canadian writer Margaret Atwood, as well as former Governor General of Canada Adrienne Clarkson and her husband John Ralston Saul. Catherine O'Hara lived in the Annex for several years. David Suzuki lived on Bernard Avenue, two blocks away. Explorer Norman Elder owned 'The Norman Elder Museum' at 140 Bedford Road. The noted urban theorist and activist Jane Jacobs lived at 69 Albany Avenue for the 37 years up to her death in April 2006. Members of the rock band Sloan also reside in the neighbourhood.
Seaton Village is the former home of Canadian poet and children's author Dennis Lee and Oscar-winning (for Chicago) sound engineer David Lee (no relation; now deceased). It is the current home of novelist and playwright Ann-Marie MacDonald and sociologist Barry Wellman.
Transportation
The Annex is well served by public transit, including four Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) subway stations: Bathurst, Dupont, St. George, and Spadina. Spadina and St.George stations act as interchanges stations, allowing passengers both north-west subway travel as well as east-west. Streetcar services run south from Bathurst and Spadina stations. Bus service operates on Avenue Road, Spadina Road, Dupont Street, Davenport Street, and northward on Bathurst Street.
Schools:
Local acclaimed public schools include:
Huron St. Jr. School
Palmerston Ave. Jr. School
Jesse Ketchum Jr. & Sr. School
Lord Lansdowne Jr. & Sr. School
King Edward Jr. & Sr. School
Hawthorne Bilingual School
Clinton St. Jr. School
Central Technical School
Rosedale Heights School of the Arts
Harbord Collegiate Institute


The Annex is an affluent neighbourhood in downtown Toronto with a predominantly english speaking resident base strongly composed of business people, prominent artists & University of Toronto faculty and students.

The traditional boundaries of the neighbourhood are north to Dupont Street, south to Bloor Street, west to Bathurst Street and east to Avenue Road. The City of Toronto recognizes a broader neighbourhood definition that includes the adjacent Seaton Village and Yorkville area.

The Annex is mainly residential, with tree-lined one-way streets made up of Victorian and Edwardian homes and mansions, most built between 1880 and the early 1900s. The 1950s and 1960s saw the replacement of some homes and mansions with mid-rise and a handful of high-rise apartment buildings in the International style. These were surrounded with landscaped green spaces in an attempt to better fit into the neighbourhood. Because of its proximity to the university, the Annex has a high rate of seasonal tenant turnover, and its residents range from university students to older long-time residents.

The stretch of Bloor Street between St. George and Bathurst is a vibrant social and mixed-use area, offering Toronto a wide range of services from moderate-priced dining to independent discount retailers, in buildings which often include residential space in upper floors. Just west of the Annex proper, between Bathurst and Christie, street signs on that stretch of Bloor call it Koreatown, although the neighbourhood north of Bloor Street is usually called Seaton Village or the "West Annex". During the 1950s and 1960s, an influx of Hungarian immigrants moved into the neighbourhood after the 1956 Hungarian Revolution was suppressed, and some of the businesses and properties along Bloor may still be owned by Hungarian-Canadian families.

Annex Style House

The Robert Brown House, an Annex style house owned by the University of TorontoThe Annex is home to many examples of a uniquely Torontonian style of house that was popular among the city's elite in the late nineteenth century. Examples of this style survive in the former upper class areas along Jarvis and Sherbourne Street and also within the University of Toronto campus. Most of these buildings are found in the Annex, and the style is thus known by some as the 'Annex style house.'The Annex style house borrows elements from both the American Richardson Romanesque and the British Queen Anne Style. Annex style houses typically feature large rounded Romanesque arches along with Queen Anne style decorative items such as turrets. Attics are emphasized in the exterior architecture. The houses are most often made of brick, though some also incorporate Credit Valley sandstone. Built for many of the city's wealthiest citizens, the houses are also large. As the wealthy moved away from the neighbourhood, many of the houses were thus subdivided into apartments.

Much of the area's retail, restaurant and entertainment venues are aimed at the university student demographic - young, educated, telecommunications-connected, non-driving.

HistoryIn the 1790s surveyors laid out York Township. The area east of Brunswick Avenue became part of the village of Yorkville, while the region west of Brunswick was part of Seaton Village. In 1883, Yorkville agreed to annexation with the City of Toronto. In 1886, Simeon Janes, a developer, created a subdivision which he called the Toronto Annex. The Annex area became part of Toronto in 1887 and Seaton Village joined Toronto in 1888.First residents of the area included Timothy Eaton, patriarch of the Eatons Department Store, and George Gooderham, president of Gooderham & Worts Distillery. The Annex's first Golden Era lasted until the early 1900s, when the upper classes began to migrate northward above the Davenport escarpment to newer more fashionable suburbs in Forest Hill and Lawrence Park

Notable residents

Admiral Road in the Annex is home to the Canadian writer Margaret Atwood, as well as former Governor General of Canada Adrienne Clarkson and her husband John Ralston Saul. Catherine O'Hara lived in the Annex for several years. David Suzuki lived on Bernard Avenue, two blocks away. Explorer Norman Elder owned 'The Norman Elder Museum' at 140 Bedford Road. The noted urban theorist and activist Jane Jacobs lived at 69 Albany Avenue for the 37 years up to her death in April 2006. Members of the rock band Sloan also reside in the neighbourhood.Seaton Village is the former home of Canadian poet and children's author Dennis Lee and Oscar-winning (for Chicago) sound engineer David Lee (no relation; now deceased). It is the current home of novelist and playwright Ann-Marie MacDonald and sociologist Barry Wellman.

Transportation

The Annex is well served by public transit, including four Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) subway stations: Bathurst, Dupont, St. George, and Spadina. Spadina and St.George stations act as interchanges stations, allowing passengers both north-west subway travel as well as east-west. Streetcar services run south from Bathurst and Spadina stations. Bus service operates on Avenue Road, Spadina Road, Dupont Street, Davenport Street, and northward on Bathurst Street.

Schools:

Local acclaimed public schools include:
  • Huron St. Jr. School
  • Palmerston Ave. Jr. School
  • Jesse Ketchum Jr. & Sr. School
  • Lord Lansdowne Jr. & Sr. School
  • King Edward Jr. & Sr. School
  • Hawthorne Bilingual School
  • Clinton St. Jr. School
  • Central Technical School
  • Rosedale Heights School of the Arts
  • Harbord Collegiate Institute