The Cricket Club area was originally settled by Andrew McGlashan who settled here with his family in the early 1800's.
The McGlashan's operated a tannery on the south-west corner of Yonge Street and York Mills Road up until the 1860's.
In 1907 the homestead was sold by secondary owners to William George Gooderham the owner of the Gooderham and Worts distillery.
Gooderham fortuitously discovered a spring of fresh water on the Yonge Street hillside of his property where the York Mills Gardens apartments are now located. He then set up Mineral Springs Ltd., which bottled and sold this water around the world up until the 1920's.
Gooderham played a key role in the residential subdivision of this neighbourhood during the early 1900's. He also helped form the Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club which opened in 1925 and has been a neighbourhood landmark ever since.
Home StylesThe Cricket Club neighbourhood contains a nice mix of housing mostly built between the 1920’s and 1940’s including two and three bedroom bungalows, Tudor and cottage-style two-storey houses, and larger Georgian-style homes with spacious centre hall plans.
Most of the properties in this neighbourhood have private drives and the lot frontages are generous, varying in size from thirty to fifty feet.
The AreaCricket Club residents enjoy some of the best shopping found anywhere in Toronto, along Yonge Street and on Avenue Road. The shops, restaurants, and professional offices on these two streets are located in small two-storey brick buildings that blend in nicely with the residential tone of this neighbourhood.
The shopping mix on Yonge Street and on Avenue Road includes designer clothing stores, home furnishing and decorating stores, hairstylists, beauty salons, children's clothing and toy shops, video stores, antique shops, art shops, gourmet coffee shops, bakeries, gift shops, hardware stores, banks, convenience stores, supermarkets, drug and health food stores, dry cleaners, fast food outlets, fine dining restaurants and professional and medical offices.